Support Case Writing Guidelines and Examples
- Be precise
- Be clear – explain it so others can reproduce the bug
- One bug per report
- No bug is too trivial to report – small bugs may hide big bugs
- Clearly separate fact from speculation
On which operating system (OS) did you find it? (e.g. Linux, Windows XP, Mac OS X.)
How would you describe the bug, in approximately 60 or fewer characters? A good summary should quickly and uniquely identify a bug report. It should explain the problem, not your suggested solution.
Good: “Cancelling a File Copy dialog crashes File Manager”
Bad: “Software crashes”
Bad: “Browser should work with my web site”
The details of your problem report, including:
More detailed restatement of summary.
Drag-selecting any page crashes Mac builds in the NSGetFactory function.
- Steps to Reproduce
Minimized, easy-to-follow steps that will trigger the bug. Include any special setup steps.
1) View any web page. (I used the default sample page, resource:/res/samples/test0.html)
2) Drag-select the page. (Specifically, while holding down the mouse button, drag the mouse pointer downwards from any point in the browser’s content region to the bottom of the browser’s content region.)
- Actual Results:
What the application did after performing the above steps.
The application crashed.
- Expected Results:
What the application should have done, were the bug not present. The window should scroll downwards. Scrolled content should be selected. (Or, at least, the application should not crash.)
- Additional Information:
Any other useful information.