Glossary > Applicant Tracking System
What is an Applicant Tracking System (ATS)?
An Applicant Tracking System is a software that uses automation and intelligence to make hiring more efficient and makes life easier for recruiters. Recruiters use an ATS to automate tedious, manual tasks to improve their hiring process. Utilize powerful automation and AI to pre-screen, prioritize, and engage with candidates in your ATS. An ATS software should make recruiting easier by providing the tools needed to track and engage candidates.
An Applicant Tracking System can help you:
- Pre-screen candidates
- Sort and prioritize candidates for interviewing
- Schedule interviews
- Keep a hiring team coordinated with schedules, messaging, and reminders
- Continuously engage candidates in your talent pool
- Gain analytics on sourcing, referrals, and more
Why Do You Need an Applicant Tracking System?
Applicant Tracking Systems are designed to simplify the recruiting process. Gain valuable insights and efficiency in your recruitment process by automating daily tasks, incorporating analytics, and communicating with candidates.
How Do You Use an Applicant Tracking System?
An ATS is designed to fit specific needs in your recruiting process. It can be used in several ways depending on what your organization needs. Whether you’re hiring in large volumes or filling roles as they open – an ATS will make things easier. Your ATS allows you to track applications, schedule interviews, communicate with candidates, and more. While every ATS is different and requires different training, here are some tips to get the most out of yours.
- Include hiring managers, recruiters, and other team leaders as users to allow them to participate in recruiting activities.
- Utilize analytics and reporting tools to learn more about your recruiting efforts.
- Don’t shy away from automation and AI – it can help save SO much time!
- Look at your daily tasks and find ways to make them easier through your ATS.
What are the Top Applicant Tracking Systems?
Every ATS is different – they all have their own sets of pros and cons for your business. Selecting the best ATS for your team can be overwhelming. Below are features that make an Applicant Tracking System great:
- Resume and candidate database
- Job application and workflow management
- Job board posting
- Applicant profiles and filters/search
- Candidate pre-screening
- Employee referral management
- Mobile accessibility
- Employee onboarding
- Offer letter generation
- Automated interview scheduling
- HRIS integration
- Reporting and analytics features
- HR and legislation compliance management
- Background verification and screening integration(s)
What’s the Difference Between a CRM and an ATS?
A Candidate Relationship Management (CRM) system allows you to nurture and source your talent network. Your Applicant Tracking System (ATS) is designed to perform hiring functions like managing applications, scheduling interviews, and onboarding talent. A CRM will allow you to get ahead of new requisitions by ensuring you have the right talent engaged with your business before a job is posted.