For the past several years the world has had Millennial tunnel vision. Millennials have been the focus of recruitment efforts and the target of a deluge of opinions and judgments. Soon, however, the workforce will be welcoming Generation Z. While recruiters have become very familiar with Millennials, Generation Z is a largely mysterious cohort. Made up of everyone born after 1995, Generation Z’s are true children of the Internet era. They did not just grow up with technology; they cannot remember a time before smartphones, tablets and social media. This constant technology connection has altered their perspectives and their understanding of the workforce.
In order to successfully recruit the new and upcoming workforce, it is crucial to recruit early as well as adapt and prepare for the changing expectations and demands.
Download the PDF
Who is Generation Z?
Growing up at a fast pace in an extremely stimulating and tech-focused world, it can be argued that Generation Z has an attention span shorter than a gold fish1.
This tech savvy group will excel the most by working independently and they will desire a more flexible schedule to do so. A recent study by marketing firm, Sparks & Honey, found that 61% of high school students want to be self-employed entrepreneurs rather than employees2. Additionally, they found that 28% of Generation Z respondents focus more on personal and family connections in their job search, highlighting the growing importance of social networks and work-life balance3. Not only does Generation Z have different career goals, they also have different job search habits. A 2015 Adecco study found that Generation Z’s are moving away from job boards with only 27% using them compared to 34% of Millennials.
These key findings portray a talent pool that is much more social and independent and will require a recruiting approach to match.
How do you attract, source, and hire in this evolving workforce? You need a recruit platform that intertwines with both technology and the marketing aspects to attract and nurture talent. Jobvite helps with the recruiting process every step of the way. Using Jobvite Brand and Jobvite Engage you can communicate your brand culture and build an attentive talent pool.
Jobvite | Brand
- Career Sites with a Story
- With Jobvite’s brand tools your career site can incorporate branding and collateral all the way from dynamic video content to your choice of fonts. All of these customization tools go a long way towards communicating how your employment brand can fit Generation Z expectations. Generation Z sees little differentiation between their life goals and career goals, so it is important to tell the story of how your company is a great place fo professional and personal development. A recent study by Randstad showed that 34% of Generation Z respondents were primarily motivated by career advancement, not money4. Here is where your career site can be an asset. Jobvite’s fully customizable career pages allow you to differentiate yoursel from your competitors and appeal to a discerning audience so you don’t look like another cookie-cutter employer.
- Continuity Across Channels
- Your career site is only one destination to interact with your brand and for increasingly connected Generation Z candidates you will need to have a prominent social media presence. Jobvite’s platform allows for you to push out job postings and marketing collateral to all social media channels.
- Jobvite is connected with over 300 social media sites, so you can push out postings to growing networks with devoted fan base. So far, Jobvite has received applications from 5.4 million job seekers from social sites. The wide breadth of the Jobvite platform allows you to meet Generation Z where they are, rather than the other way around.
Jobvite | Engage
Keeping Up With Potential Candidates
As the most technologically connected demographic, Generation Z moves in and out of social media, messengers, and e-mail fluidly. Add to this their preferences to job-hop, apply through mobile, and use their social networks; you have a radically different talent pool to connect with. Jobvite’s engagement tools can help you keep track of this nimble workforce by morphing sourcing into a much more active practice beyond job posts and email blasts.
- Building Your Pipeline
- With an always on the move workforce, it is more important than ever to keep track of your contacts. The Jobvit platform built-in CRM allows you to create a dynamic database that creates a searchable collection of all of your entries. This goes far beyond just pulling up a resume; now you can search by location, skills, schools, years of experience, and even your own tags. Jobvite’s CRM makes it possible to integrate candidates from a variety of sources: public or paid resume databases, bulk entry, webpage entries, and email conversations. By creating an intelligent database, you can quickly find and engage with a talent pool that is more likely than ever to consider jumping from their current position.
- Right Candidate, Right Campaign
- Jobvite’s engage tools are where you can see the payoff of your dynamic talent database. Now that you have captured tons of candidates, it is time to build and maintain your relationships. With targeted campaigns, you can create customized communication campaigns to deliver the right content to the right candidates. Generation Z is inundated with information so it is more important than ever to give them regular updates about the company and the current openings. You can create campaign lists using any of the CRM’s descriptors to send targeted content. Plus, our builtin analytics will show you how each campaign performs so you can tweak your content to improve impressions and engagement.
- Snap Social Recruiting
- The days of simple e-mail updates are gone. Social media captures tons of Generation Z’s time and is an essential channel to source and nurture candidates.
You can broadcast content to your social media channels straight from the Jobvite dashboard so you do not have to jump to other apps or websites. Having this functionality built-in alongside your CRM allows you to see metrics on how brand followers are engaging with your social media content and what is most effective. Additionally, Jobvite supports social job posts so you can directly import candidates who apply through your postings on social media. Not only is the Jobvite platform about getting the word out to candidates on social media, but also it is about turning their valuable data into actionable items. This full integration keeps your pipeline healthy and active.
- The Referral Generation
- In our most recent Social Recruiting Survey, 60% of recruiters identified referrals as their top source for high quality candidates5. Referrals have a number of benefits when compared to applicants from other channels: on average they take less time to hire, stay longer, and cost less to recruit. As Generation Z enters the labor market, we are sure to see referrals rise. Consistent interaction with social media and the tendency to job-hop will mean much higher shares and engagement with social job postings. Jobvite understands the value of referrals so our custom Facebook applications, automated social network communications, and Jobvite postings are built for sharing. Together, these will be essential tools for bringing Generation Z into the application process.
- College Recruiting Done Right
- While Generation Z may be a couple of years off from entering the workforce, it is important to engage with them early to develop relationships that will lead to a healthy pipeline in the future. Workers aged 20 to 24 years old will have job tenure shorter than 16 months and as we learned from Millennials, job-hopping is inevitable6. In this new age of recruiting where employees are much more open to leaving their current position, it is better to treat all talent as passive candidates so it will be more important than ever to build enduring relationships. Let’s look at how Jobvite’s Engage tools can help you initiate contact with Generation Z to begin building your pipeline.
In the old days it may have been enough to simply show up to a college recruiting fair with a PowerPoint presentation and a clipboard sign-up sheet, but times have changed and you need to prepare to make a good first impression.
Jobvite’s Engage tool gives you access to our powerful email campaigns, resume database access, web page campaign builders, and CRM, so you can engage with Generation Z while they are still in college. Below, we will lay out how Jobvite’s Engagement tool can ensure a successful college-recruiting trip.
- Before any on-site visits, targeted email campaigns that focus on specific colleges or majors can help you make meaningful introductions and separate yourself from competitors at larger job fairs.
- Our platform gives you access to hundreds of college resume databases, so you can search candidates and add them to your CRM prior to any events.
- Our webpage tools make it simple to make customized landing pages for each school you attend to make a targeted pitch. From here, visitors to your booth can enter their contact information directly into your CRM and you can label them as interested, high-priority candidates.
- Once you have completed your campus visit, Jobvite’s CRM can help you track all of your new contacts to make further targeted communications. We will cover how our CRM can help you nurture your talent pool in the next section.
- Many Generation Z graduates will be entering the workforce soon, so begin building your pipeline now with effective college recruiting. By building a broad base of contacts you will prepare yourself for job-hopping and leverage Generation Z’s important and expansive social networks. Now let’s look at how grow and maintain these relationships
All of these tools will help you to source talent and keep in constant contact, so you are at the front of their minds when they are considering a job switch. Jobvite’s platform turns the often-negative associations with job-hopping Generation Z to strength. Your talent pool of attractive passive candidates grows considerably, and now you will have the tools to bring them into your pipeline.
New Generation, New ATS
With higher turnover expected among Generation Z, as with Millennials, you are going to be going through the hiring process more frequently and potentially with the same jobseekers. Even if they do not re-apply, the average Generation Z candidate will be an avid social media user and will offer a great networking opportunity. It is essential to have an efficient recruiting platform that combines the reliability of an ATS and the flexibility of a CRM so you can leverage Generation Z’s mobility and sociability.
Adding Jobvite’s Brand and Jobvite Engage tools to our already great ATS will enable you to convert Generation Z from candidates to applicants.
Download the PDF
- www.statisticbrain.com »
- www.ere.net »
- www.inc.com »
- www.entrepreneur.com »
- www.entrepreneur.com »
- ww.wsj.com »